During this distressing time, when our dogs are sadly targeted whilst enjoying their walks, we need to stay vigilant. We wanted to share some information about signs of and treatment for toxins and Poisons exposure.
Identify as much as possible about the toxin your pet ingested, including the label name, active ingredients, and what quantity they consumed or were exposed to. Remove any additional toxin out of reach or keep your pet away from the source of the poison. Observe your pet’s symptoms, both for normal and abnormal behavior. Even if your pet appears normal, they may still be affected by the toxin. Depending on the toxin and the amount ingested/exposed to, symptoms may appear straight away, or they may take longer to show.
Call your vet
After evaluating, call your Vet. Depending on your pet’s condition, they may offer first aid over the phone, tell you to bring your pet to the clinic or possible direct you straight to an emergency clinic. Follow your vet’s instructions carefully to ensure the best outcome.
When a pet has been exposed to a suspected poison, quick, and appropriate action is vital. Sooner rather than later, is ALWAYS the best option. This gives less time for local irritation of GI tract, absorption of toxic agents, damage to other organs such as liver and kidneys.
Numerous toxin Signs
- Neurotoxic – tremors, fitting, head pressing
2. Gastro-intestinal insults – vomiting, diarrhoea, loss of appetite
3.Anti-coagulants – blood fails to clot (rat sac) – blood oozing from gums ; bleeding in white part of eye ; bruising on abdomen; pale gums indicating anemia.
Therapy depends on time of exposure & nature of toxic agents (if known)
- Known exposure within 2 hours – usual therapy is to induce vomiting
- Suspect exposure overnight – blood tests, clotting times assessed, fluid therapy as required
- Gut irritation – gut protectants, fluids, anti-emetics, monitoring renal function.
Prevention better than cure
- Walking in lit areas.
- Minimising opportunity for odd snacks to be ingested.
- Always keep on lead.
- Consider plastic basket muzzles if dog known to be a forager.
Where/when to get care
We are available 7 days/week : 3899 1495 (even ring for advice)After-hours emergency : 3423 1888 : transfer back to GP in the morning